Thursday, April 4, 2013

Absolutely Perfect

This comes from the blog of Audrey Smith at Nature Quest Photography. I cannot agree more with this sentiment. It should be printed, laminated, and handed out to every single visitor to a zoo or aquarium from now until the end of time or people stop being buffoons whenever they see an animal behind glass (which are more or less the same thing).

Read the whole beautiful thing here, and spread the word.

Here are a few of my favorite excerpts:

" Keep in mind that while I am here for you to look at, I don’t necessarily want to pose for every camera.  When you whistle, hoot, clap, or shout, remember that I have heard that same sound a hundred times already that day and each day before that, and that is why I decided to ignore you."

"While small children may not know better, tapping on the glass gives us headaches, and we ask that the adults in each group teach the younger ones not to do it.  Know that while this fence protects you, it is also here to ensure my safety and its boundaries must be respected.  Remember that I am a wild animal, not an exotic pet or conversation piece. "

"...please remember that I am a living, breathing creature.  I can feel pain, anger, joy, and sorrow.  There are things that please me and things that scare me.  I may be looking at you from the other side of the fence, but my job is to help you understand things, and I deserve your respect no matter my size, shape, or place in the world."


Also, check her out on Facebook.

Here's this other thing I love: the Yellow Dog Project.


***********

Happy Seal has regained some small amount of faith in our otherwise stupid race of hairless apes.


No comments:

Post a Comment